National Lawyers Guild, Detroit and Michigan Chapter Job Posting and Description Administrator (Part-Time)
- Promote membership renewal and chapter growth; maintain membership database; prepare and send dues billings; prepare quarterly membership reports; manage chapter list serve; update website; work with, and take direction from Chapter treasurer; pick up mail from post office and process/distribute mail promptly.
- Organize events, as directed by the Chapter Board.
- Provide support for NLG Committees, including legal defense teams, and student chapters.
- Host NLG table at local law school student group fairs or recruit chapter members to host events.
- Maintain media contacts and publicity.
- Monthly written report and attendance at monthly board meetings (currently held on the 1st Thursday of the month at 6:15 pm in downtown Detroit).
- Attend NLG National Convention (usually in the fall; locations vary; expenses paid – with assumption of least expensive housing arrangements). Assist with panels presented by Detroit NLG members at the convention.
- Assist with Annual Dinner planning (typically held in February).
- Grant writing and reporting. Schedule: 20 hours/week. Hours to be scheduled. There is potential to transition to a flexible schedule. Attendance is required at monthly board meetings (typically held on the first Thursday evening of the month). Frequently, attendance is required at events or conferences held outside of regular business hours. Administrator will also need to work extended hours during preparation months preceding Annual Dinner. In addition, there will be times when the work requires that the Administrator work outside regular scheduled hours with very short notice, e.g., when protest events result in arrests.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Compensation negotiable based on experience ($15 – 17/hour), and Health Care Stipend.
- The Chapter Administrator's duties do not involve managerial or supervisory duties, or duties requiring a high degree of discretion. This position, therefore, places the Administrator in an NLG staff bargaining unit. As such, the Chapter Administrator is free to join a union, or not, at the sole discretion of the Administrator. Most NLG employees of the NLG National Office, various Chapters and Projects, who are part of the staff bargaining unit, are members of UAW Local 2320, Legal Services Workers. The Administrator is free to join Local 2320, or any other labor union, if s/he wishes to do so. If the Administrator chooses to join a union, the National Lawyers Guild, Detroit and Michigan Chapter, will recognize and bargain in good faith with whatever labor union is selected by the Administrator.
- Paid Holiday of 4 hours where the holiday falls on a weekday: New Year’s Day, MLK Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day & Christmas Day.
- Paid Time Off accrues starting thirty days after start date at the rate of 2 days per month (4 hour work day), with a 20 day max for the first year and 25 days for each year thereafter.
- Candidate must be organized, flexible, self-motivated and independent. Able to work well with others.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including familiarity with Mac, MS Word, Excel; ability to create newsletter, flyers, brochures using MS Word; e-mail; internet; listserv management; web page maintenance; FileMaker Pro; familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and wordpress is a plus. Bookkeeping or accounting skills are also a plus.
- Commitment to progressive politics and NLG Mission Statement: “We seek to unite the lawyers, law students, legal workers, and jailhouse lawyers of America in an organization which shall function as an effective political and social force in the service of the people, to the end that human rights shall be regarded as more sacred than property interests.” (Preamble to the NLG Constitution)
- Persistent and tenacious in outreach to overworked/overextended lawyers/law students.
- Willing and able to make a minimum 1 year commitment.
- Reliable personal transportation for events, errands, meetings, etc. (Worksite parking to be provided and work related mileage reimbursement)
- NLG will provide a Mac computer with backup protocols and a multi function printer. Most work will be performed at the NLG Chapter office at St. Peter's Church, 1950 Trumbull, Detroit, MI (corner of Michigan Ave.). Arrangements can be made to perform some work at home.
TO APPLY: Send Letter of Interest, Resume and References to: email@example.com Subject Line: “NLG Administrator Application” Application deadline: Monday, February 3rd. 2020.